Welcome to PokerForums.org

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Private
    PFO Points

Default Betting Questions

Totally new to poker and trying to better understand betting. Let's say in Texas Hold'em the final communal card is about to be shown. Can the first player to the left of the dealer 'call' during the last round? Can all the players call during the last round and not bet anything? (It seems like in every round the player sitting to the left of the dealer would be able to call -- but does that mean they can still get the pot?)

I guess what I'm asking is this: During the final betting round -- do you have to either bet, or fold? Thanks in advance.

PFO Points

Except for the blinds in the first (preflop) round of betting, the rules work the same in every round.

No one is forced to bet until someone else has opened the betting. It's not called "calling" though unless you're matching someone else's bet. It's called "checking."

When no one else has bet yet, you can:

• Check (do nothing)
    • Bet
    • Fold (but it is a huge beginner mistake to fold when you could just check; don't do this ever, no matter how bad your hand is)

When someone else has bet before you, you can

• Call (match their bet without reopening the betting for them)
    • Raise (increase the bet, potentially reopening the action for the original bettor to re-raise)
    • Fold

For instance, there are three people in the pot. Flop, turn or river, it doesn't matter. We'll call them A, B and C, and A is the first player to the dealer's left, i.e. first to act.

There are 100 chips in the pot.

Player A checks (i.e. does nothing).
    Player B bets 50.
    Player C can fold, call or raise. Let's say he folds.
    Now it's back to player A, who can likewise fold, call or raise. Let's say he calls.

Now there would be 200 chips in; 100 from before, 50 from B's bet, and 50 from A's call. That would conclude the betting for the round. If player A had raised, then that would reopen the action for player B to fold, call or re-raise.
    Last edited by Xopods; March 6th, 2013 at 12:43 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by pikachar
    Honestly didn t read OP I just got to say xopods is right on the money
    I design board & card games!: http://www.benefactum.ca

Private
    PFO Points

Cool, thanks! I meant check. Keep getting those switched.

So, basically, if any bet has been made in a previous round, in no future round could anyone check (they would have to at least call)?

PFO Points

No, every round is a separate thing. Whatever money was bet on previous rounds is now in the pot and has no bearing on the current street.

Let's say on the flop there's 100 chips in the pot and I bet 50. You call me.

We deal the turn card. Now there's 200 chips in the pot. If neither of us wants to bet, we could both just check and we'd get to see the river card without any more chips being put in the pot.

Private
    PFO Points

Ahhh, ok. This is the thought process that started this and googling didn't suffice...Couldn't the first player to act in each round (say player A from above) simply check his way through the entire game because he is the first?

PFO Points

No, because the action only closes when it comes back to the last person to have bet or raised. (Or after everyone checks if no one bets.)

Look at my example again:

A checks.
    B bets.
    C folds.
    It's back to A, who now has to call B's bet if he wants to continue.
    If A calls, then the action is finished and we deal a new card. If he raises, then that would reopen the action and B would have to make a decision.

Example with more players:

A checks.
    B bets 50.
    C calls 50.
    D raises to 150.
    A folds.
    B calls 100. (150 minus the 50 he already put in)
    C folds.
    Now the action is finished because the next to act would be D, but he's the last person to have raised.
    Last edited by Xopods; March 6th, 2013 at 01:25 PM.

Private
    PFO Points

Sweet. Thanks.

Nice explanation - you make loads of sense..

Quote Originally Posted by Xopods View Post
    No, because the action only closes when it comes back to the last person to have bet or raised. (Or after everyone checks if no one bets.)

Look at my example again:

A checks.
    B bets.
    C folds.
    It's back to A, who now has to call B's bet if he wants to continue.
    If A calls, then the action is finished and we deal a new card. If he raises, then that would reopen the action and B would have to make a decision.

Example with more players:

A checks.
    B bets 50.
    C calls 50.
    D raises to 150.
    A folds.
    B calls 100. (150 minus the 50 he already put in)
    C folds.
    Now the action is finished because the next to act would be D, but he's the last person to have raised.
    Thanks - ton of good info there

Private
    PFO Points

BetOnline Promo

Quote Originally Posted by JFS321 View Post
    During the final betting round -- do you have to either bet, or fold?
    There is a kind of poker called "forced bet". You can play it in any poker game, Holdem or whatever.

In "forced bet", it works exactly like you said. You either have to bet or fold. You cannot check.

This is an interesting form of poker, but as you can imagine, it's not very common.

Thread Information