Welcome to PokerForums.org

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Staff Sergeant
    PFO Points

Quote Originally Posted by goboy90808 View Post
    Perhaps what we need is a site setup so bots can compete against each other and humans without the restrictions from the site.

It is easy to see how bots could out play people like me at card selection, bet sizing and the like but it is not clear how good bots are at hand reading.

Of course, I am no good at hand reading but if it was needed to win then I might be forced to develop some more advanced skills in order to beat the bots.
    You just described the lead up to the Matrix as told in the Animatrix. The bots were made to help humans but then they became too smart and gained consciousness. Then the humans began to discriminate against the robots so the robots moved to their own continent to live on their own with no humans. The robot country became the dominant economic power of the planet while the humans declined and eventually attacked the robots to take advantage of their prosperity. You know the rest.

And to think it may have all started with a poker bot program that correctly called Isuldur down with King high. Prepare to become batteries people.

PFO Points
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by shortbuspoker View Post
    You just described the lead up to the Matrix as told in the Animatrix. The bots were made to help humans but then they became too smart and gained consciousness. Then the humans began to discriminate against the robots so the robots moved to their own continent to live on their own with no humans. The robot country became the dominant economic power of the planet while the humans declined and eventually attacked the robots to take advantage of their prosperity. You know the rest.

And to think it may have all started with a poker bot program that correctly called Isuldur down with King high. Prepare to become batteries people.
    Ship to HOF, immediately...

Steve-O :mikeitso
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve R View Post
    I might turn this into my signature
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan Little View Post
    I agree with jj. It depends a lot on what you expect your opponents to do.

Super Moderator
    PFO Points

Pikachar, have u gone pro yet? r u playing in any online venues that might harbor bots?

PFO Points
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Warren View Post
    Pikachar, have u gone pro yet? r u playing in any online venues that might harbor bots?
    Am I full-blown pro, no... I actually enjoy working, so i'm doing online/live to fill the gaps in work (contracting stuff)

Wow, I'm new and I haven't heard of this before. Thanks for the information!

For the sake of pure money this could be the end of an enjoyable game. Sad but true, there are always people out there ready to destroy a good thing

PFO Points

Svenska Spel recently uncovered a poker bot ring that was playing as high as $2.50/$5 NLHE games. In 2010 poker bots were discovered on Stars that were playing $25./$.50 to $1/$2 NLHE. It would seem to me that as they continue to become more sophisticated poker bots could very well be the #1 problem for online poker. Thoughts?
    Were the poker bot actually winning? I've heard awhile back that most poker bots lose against online players, because it's easy to figure them out.

PFO Points
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Xopods View Post
    The death of online poker and possibly the death of poker in general.

It's why no one plays backgammon for money online... because even regular commercial backgammon programs are already stronger than humans, if you're playing for money online, you're not just relying on your own skill, but also on the site's skill at making sure you're playing a real person. And even if you are, you have no guarantee they're not running a backgammon AI in another window or even on another machine and making their moves based on its suggestions.

Meanwhile, computers surpassing humans at a game is troubling for the game in general. Even if it may be a while before chess is solved in absolute terms, it's not going to be long before it's outside of the realm of hope that a human will ever take back the title from a computer. So I wouldn't teach my kid to play chess now. I'd either teach him something like Go, with a complexity such that he'll be at least my age before computers are dominating it, or something more obscure, like El Juego de las Amazonas (excellent game btw), such that computer scientists aren't likely to put in the effort to beat it*.

When it comes to poker, maybe the thrill of gambling is enough to give people an incentive to play live against other humans, but when you're gambling you want to know you've got a fair game. But what you have to realize is that powerful computers are going to keep getting smaller and smaller, and more and more omnipresent. At some point you're going to need a strip-search and an X-ray at the entrance to the poker room to make sure no one's carrying anything on them that's going to feed them moves, and who's going to go to that trouble instead of just playing craps?

*: Of course, eventually computers are going to get so powerful that they can beat humans at any game as soon as they're introduced to the rules... possibly solve them too, if you believe that quantum computing is going to be a real thing. If you don't, it's easy to construct games that even a Universe-sized computer couldn't actually solve them in the age of the Universe (Go on a sufficiently large board, for instance), but at some point computer AI will surely exceed human strategic intuition, so brute-forcing won't be necessary.
    Nice Go refrence

Sergeant Major
    PFO Points

this thread definately has more merit and logic than any of the rigged threads. This may actually be a problem

Private
    PFO Points

BetOnline Promo

I'm sure that most poker bots are still playing on Stars and I don't think they can do much about it they are made to be undetectable. The only positive thing about it is that the most advanced commercial poker bots like Sagittarius ABZ are very expensive to buy so probably not many people use it. I guess.

Thread Information