Welcome to PokerForums.org

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Private
    PFO Points

Default thoughts on this hand

Hey everyone.
    Just wanted some analysis on this hand that knocked me out of a tournament Yesterday.

I was playing pretty well, down to last two tables and I had an average size stack.

Blinds were 3000/6000
    I get JT diamonds
    I'm in mid position and it folds to me
    I raise to 15,000 total ( this leaves me about 30,000 left)
    Everyone folds to the button who calls.

Flop is 9Q5 rainbow
    This gives me and open ended straight draw
    I push all in after a quick think
    Button calls, he has pocket 8's

I don't hit on turn or river and have a busted straight.
    He wins with his mid pair, I'm out.

Thoughts? Was I right to push all in? The guy on the button had me well covered in chips. I was supprised he called with a mid pair when there were two over cards on the flop especially since I showed strength pre flop.

What do you guys think?

PFO Points

In most games I would have shoved preflop. If I was going to raise I would have made it ~13k pre. Flop shove is fine but it sounds like you ran into a calling station. If you keep seeing hands like this call, stop bluffing and value bet more.
    ​Poker is not about simply playing your cards in a fundamentally sound manner. -Jonathan Little

PFO Points

I wouldn't have shoved on the flop, even though it wasn't a bad all in push. It's not too often that your opponent will be folding in that spot with your stack size, so I'd try to find a better position to risk all of my chips.

PFO Points
    Blog Entries

Shove pre. As played this is totally standard to shove here anything else is a mistake, you have Fold Equity and decent equity in the pot.
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve R View Post
    Xopods probably just fires up another WSOP Main Event

PFO Points

Quote Originally Posted by machine1984 View Post
    Shove pre. As played this is totally standard to shove here anything else is a mistake, you have Fold Equity and decent equity in the pot.
    With J10 late in a tourney? Why not wait for at least a Ace? That way you have a better chance of getting called by a worse hand. If you receive a call preflop with J10, you're likely behind, and you can wait for a better spot a to risk your tournament life.

PFO Points
    Blog Entries

I for one know that even with ICM JTs from any position 7bb Deep is a shove. It plays so well against many hands when called and we dont have time to wait around. Also Ax plays worse vs a calling range than JTs
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve R View Post
    Xopods probably just fires up another WSOP Main Event

Private
    PFO Points

I agree with machine1984s advice, you should have just shoved pre flop with 7bb. On the flop you played it right to me cause you did maximize fold equity there.

PFO Points

I take note of the fact that you had an average stack, meaning that relatively, you have more fold equity than if you were short compared to the others. But at 7.5 BB I would either fold or open-shove, in this case a shove might even get the 88 to fold (although unlikely). I face this situation so often and this is how I go out most of the time!

Private
    PFO Points

Interesting hand and I would ask why you decided to shovel on the flop based on what u know about the villain. Had you played a his table long enough to say with confidence if I use a stop n strategy I will have fold equity based on what have seen him do (he as folded in a similar situation? We al play J0 for the nut straight...you played it and flopped perfectly I like your move with the line you took.

If no I and I think he folds to a 7.5 BB preflop shovel I do it.

Private
    PFO Points

I actually like the play, as you had less then 10bb's shoving would polarize your range. When by raising it seems like you want action, and if someone is playing a lot of games they might not notice your chip stack. With this said, your shoving 100% of flops here for the fact your so SS'd. The fact you flopped equity makes it a no brainer. I think you played the hand perfectly.

Thread Information