Welcome to PokerForums.org

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PFO Points

Default PFO "deposit" bonus

How about doing a "deposit bonus" promotion?

New signups get 500 PFO points if they make 20 quality posts over their first 30 days, and anybody is eligible for 2000 points for 100 quality posts over 6 months.

An admin/mod would have to keep track, but it would be as simple as having a signup/ I'm In! thread and just jotting down the names and post count at time of signup. After the time is up, mods would discuss if they feel the member has reached the quota. Of course we're not going to count individual posts as quality or not, but regulars know who's a troll and who's not. People like XDemX would be running around 100% quality posts, while pp100 would be around 30% (Ok, old references, apologies to anybody "new", ie last 5 years or so ). But as long as the member has posted the appropriate amount of posts, and the mods feel their content was good enough, they win.

What constitutes a quality post? Anything that adds to the value of the site. Posting or commenting on a HH thread, scenario or theory thread, a good bad beat story, posting a non-poker story, adding value to any thread. Stuff like "^ yeah that", "+1", "bump", etc don't count. Even starting a "poker is rigged" thread might count as long as its not a bizarre logic missing rant, but a complaint/argument about a site based on observational conclusions (biased or not) that shows intelligence and logic would count. (We all know observational bias is real, and history has shown that not all sites are clean, so a new thread about a site may be a good thing). Even adding a joke or picture to an appropriate thread would count. As long as a post adds, in some form, value to a thread, its good.

We do this for the same reason the rooms offer bonuses. It gets people to play. If you offer people money back to play at tables, then people are more likely to play. And people not involved in a bonus are more likely to stick around because the tables are full. Same with here. Discussion fosters more discussion.

100 posts is not alot. Thats only 1 every 3 days or so. Even if most of them are news articles links, or random non poker stuff, it still contributes to the site. One of the sites I frequent now is a Naval history/simulation site. Each sub-genre of sims has it's group of members, but the post frequency is not that high. But the General Topics section is heavily trafficked, as it serves as the forums lobby, where everybody mingles. So even generating traffic in non-poker areas will spurn poker related threads. Not everybody plays PLO8 or high limit LHE, but we all like a good "look at this moron" post.

I personally don't play enough poker anymore to contribute much there (pretty much offline freeplay vs really really dumb bots), but I do come around for other stuff here. I do feel like the old crotchety drunken sailor that is always sitting at the yacht club bar, telling stories about how back in my day...

And this turned into one long post for a simple idea....
    Luck is a Residue of Design.

PFO Points
    Blog Entries

Good idea Marm. I do think some more fun posts would get people involved. Not everyone wants to just have hand history's to read. Maybe we could throw some ideas about? I dunno usually Gerry is good at this
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve R View Post
    Xopods probably just fires up another WSOP Main Event

PFO Points

BetOnline Promo

News links, jokes, anything really.

Another twist to this, Lurkers would fall into the "new member catergory". Matt just posted in the newbies section about play vs real money. I noticed he's been a member for only 2 years, but half his posts are in that thread. Members like him should be encouraged to post under the new member reward.

Also, maybe, a way to bring back old members, anybody who's been a member for 3 years or more, but hasn't posted in a couple years (or some % of their membership time, say 50%, so a 4 year that has been AWOL for 2 years), and they reach the full bonus reward, might be given a real money deposit ($5 - $10) on the site of their choice that PFO can transfer on. I think this would be a self supporting endeavor, as I assume the owners make revenue off of ad views, so that number of views should pay for any bonus's they hand out. It's just pocket change to most people, but getting $10 on a online site these days can be difficult.
    Luck is a Residue of Design.

Thread Information