Welcome to PokerForums.org

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Private
    PFO Points

Default Online Newbie? Here's some tips that help me...

Being a newbie at playing poker online I have read all sorts of articles and books on how to improve your game, and other tips to help a first timer.

Obviously, it should go without saying, you've got to have a good understanding of the rules of the game, etc. It's probably a good idea to just observe a few games to start with, so you build up an understanding of how a site's software and displays work.

But here's the tips I make sure I do in every game - and finding that my play is improving because of them:

1/ Play with REAL money
    You will never go beyond being a rank amateur just sticking with "play money". Play money means nothing, you're not going to lose anything if you make a bad decision - and that's where the problem lies.

You may say: "It's okay, I plan to play as though it is real money", but it is unlikely you actually will. In a real money game you are a lot more careful, but with Play money it doesn't matter. You'll keep betting long after you should have folded.

But even if you do play as though for real, you cannot guarantee anyone else at the table is doing the same. With play money all that will happen is someone (or several) will start making outrageous bets because they can without loss. If they lose all their money, just a click of the mouse and they have more.

If you have been using play money, then expect to start again from the bottom once you are playing with the real stuff - it's a completely different ball (or should I say "card") game.

Now, you might think "I can't afford to bet real money". So, build yourself up a little bankroll that you won't mind losing, before starting to play. Even if you only have $10 or $20 a month to play with, that's fine, stick to the tables that have bets between 1 and 5 cents. if you're careful with your betting and your play, your money will last some time.

If you run out of money, and can only deposit a little bit each month, don't go depositing more until the following month unless you really can afford it. Okay, you may not be able to play for a couple of weeks, but at least you'll be able to eat.

Believe me there is no comparison between using play money and the real thing. Once you've got the hang of it, you'll never go back to the play money again.

In fact the only reason to use play money is when you start on a new site and you want to get used to how it all works.

2/ Don't use all your bankroll at the table
    When you choose a table to play at, you'll probably be asked how much you want to take to the table. See how much the other players have and take about the same (if you can afford it), don't take all your bankroll to the table.

This has a psychological effect that should help you conserve your money, and bet better. If you can see you have $50, then you are likely to bet more freely than if you have $5. But if that $50 has got to last you all month, then you don't want to go losing too much in one game.

Only taking a small amount to the table does two things:

a) You are less likely to bet foolishly, because you can see a smaller amount of money;

b) When you do win, even if it is only a small amount, you will take more pleasure in it. If you win $5 but your bankroll is $50 then you now see $55 - which doesn't look much. But if you sat down at the table with $5 and then won the pot, meaning you now have $10 in front of you, you have "doubled your money" (not strictly true, but let's not get into mathematics, etc. - we're talking psychological not actual). It gives a much better feeling (of course, you don't want that feeling to translate into over confidence in your abilities).

3/ Set a specific length of time to play
    When you are new to online poker you need to concentrate and follow what is going on, how people are betting, etc. This quickly becomes tiring and your mind starts to wander, you do other things, look at other websites, maybe even watch TV or read a book - which is a good way to lose all your money, or certainly not win any. Therefore, you need to stay fresh and concentrate - even when you have folded your own hand.

I would suggest playing for between 1 and 2 hours at first. Certainly a minimum of 1 hour to get some proper experience. Dipping in and out for 10 minutes won't do you much good and you'll learn very little.

However, if you are tired or you find your mind starts to wander badly and you're not really following what's happening, then stop playing and have a break.

When you have a break make sure it is for at least as long as you were playing for - preferably a bit longer. Playing for an hour? Take a couple of hours off.

Also, as a newbie, it doesn't matter if you've been winning several hands and think you're on a winning streak - still take the break when you said you would. If you continue playing and get tired you will lose all the money you have just won - and in a faster time than it took you to win it.

4/ Understand about "position"
    The value of a hand can change depending where you are sitting in relation to the dealer (or the person representing the dealer). The closer you are to their right, the better, because you have more players who have to make their move before you. A pair of 10s isn't very good with 4 or 5 people yet to make their move, but if you see several have folded their hands and there's only 1 or 2 other players left in, then your 10 pair looks stronger (but look at how those two people bet as well).

So find articles online or in books about position.

5/ Concentrate!
    As has been said several times you need to concentrate on what's happening in the game. Therefore, you don't want to get into online conversations with other players. They are probably just being polite and welcoming you to the game, which is fine, but don't get into anything more than that. In fact most software that has a chat function allows you to switch off players' comments. So do yourself a favour and use it.

Also, make sure you turn off your browser or anything else that can distract you from the game. As said in 3/ if you are losing concentration and finding you're wanting to do something else, then take a break from playing.

There! Phew!

I hope by following the above five tips you'll find they work for you as much as they have done for me. Let me know what you think...

Now, I'm off to play some poker.

Private
    PFO Points

However, if you are tired or you find your mind starts to wander badly and you're not really following what's happening, then stop playing and have a break.
    This was borne out yesterday.

I was tired, yet playing. I started with $4, got it up to over $6... then because of tiredness I made silly bets, and didn't fold when I should, so I lost over $3 in half the time it took me to make it!

Private
    PFO Points

Thanks Royal Fool, very useful!

Thanks royal fool. This post is so cool and informative and found to be very much useful and applicable for the people who are interested into poker but not so good at playing and trying their luck on it.
    Keep sharing your valuable comments here............
    Last edited by G9OLT; April 29th, 2016 at 09:09 AM.

Private
    PFO Points

Good job Royal fool,

1, Yeas , i believe that's the only way you would learn how to really play poker
    2, 1/100 bb is advisable..
    3,great advice on the time managment
    4, this is a must!
    5,given

If your using a HUD you can use leakbuster to find and fix your leaks in cash games.. that should help you profit more.

Thread Information