Welcome to PokerForums.org

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Sergeant
    PFO Points

Default I got murdered at the tables last night, should I be folding here?

This was a hand that bothered me so I'm wondering if I should have folded instead of putting villain all in on turn and what I can learn from it.

I had no idea my play was so -EV when the chips went in, but I was drawing about 2% or so after the turn.

Both stacks are effectively 100bb, 50nl

Im in the BB with AA
    SB raises 3bb I raised to 9bb
    SB calls
    Pot has 18bb

Flop AK4 rainbow

SB checks, I raise 9bb
    SB calls

Turn 4

SB checks
    Hero raises 18bb
    SB raises 50bb
    Hero puts SB all in for effectively 200bb pot

SHould I have folded to his raise?

He shows pocket 4's, river is 5, and I lost a $98 pot or so.

I'm a little mad because I find it impossible to win at this game when people keep hitting their 1 outters over and over and over against me.
    Last edited by JimmyS1985; November 7th, 2014 at 05:59 AM.

PFO Points

I'd love to hear someone explain how they could have got away at the turn. Is checking the turn a "safe" strategy? I wouldn't of. I think you played it fine; unlucky. Don't let it bother you, chalk it up to variance. Game was $0.50/$1 right (200bb pot, lost $98) so 1 buy in?

Especially when I started, these hands stuck in the mind so strong it sure felt it always happened to me. Looking at things now, with much less emotion, I've realized that getting 1 or 2 outed never happened more than I should have expected.
    Last edited by Pinguaq; November 7th, 2014 at 10:17 AM.
    "People are always blaming their circumstances for what they are. I don't believe in circumstances. The people who get on in this world are the people who get up and look for the circumstances they want, and if they can't find them, they make them." - George Bernard Shaw

PFO Points

You just have to learn to live with this kind of variance if you're going to play poker. Basically the only time you can fold top set is when there's 4 to a flush or straight on the board and you're sure the guy has it. With three to a flush or straight, you may want to pot control sometimes instead of looking to get all the chips in... but neither of those is the case here. Quads is a hand you just don't worry about in Hold'em. Sometimes a guy will have them and you say "welp, nice hand sir," but that's it.

Omaha and especially Five-Card Omaha and Courchevel, then you can start to worry about quads, but even then you're rarely looking to get away from top set if there's no straight or flush possible.

Theoretically, you could put the guy on quads here if you know that:

(a) He never calls with A4s preflop
    (b) He would never flat the flop and then raise the turn with any Ax, including AK
    (c) He always 4-bets KK to your 3-bet preflop

But I don't think you'll ever have enough info on a guy to know that all three of those are true 100% of the time. Even if they're sometimes true, the odds of him having exactly 44 are so small that you'll see A4, AK or KK much more often here. Since there's only one exact combination of 44 he can have once two others are out on the board, you really need to odds of him playing any other hand this way to be exactly 0% in order to believe he's got them.
    Last edited by Xopods; November 7th, 2014 at 09:33 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by pikachar
    Honestly didn t read OP I just got to say xopods is right on the money
    I design board & card games!: http://www.benefactum.ca

PFO Points

Did the villain hit the time bank and use all his time before calling?
    ​Poker is not about simply playing your cards in a fundamentally sound manner. -Jonathan Little

PFO Points

Quote Originally Posted by Equity View Post
    Did the villain hit the time bank and use all his time before calling?
    Lol
    "People are always blaming their circumstances for what they are. I don't believe in circumstances. The people who get on in this world are the people who get up and look for the circumstances they want, and if they can't find them, they make them." - George Bernard Shaw

PFO Points
    Blog Entries

Just a cold deck. Everyone and I Mean everybody plays it the way you do and loses. If this bad luck didn't happen bad players would not want to come back that's the way I look at it during bad periods.
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve R View Post
    Xopods probably just fires up another WSOP Main Event

Private
    PFO Points

BetOnline Promo

no need for me to even comment on this one. In this wonderful game crazy things just happen. No way you and or anyone else in the free world is folding top set on a draw free board. Don't worry, one day you will have the 4s

Thread Information