Welcome to PokerForums.org

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Thread: I'm a Newbie

Private
    PFO Points

Default I'm a Newbie

hi, i am a newbie to Poker and to this forum.

I was given a poker set for christmas, I asked for it, as it seems everyone appears to be playing poker these days, i though i would give it a go.
    After spending several days reading the games rules on Texas Hold'em, i think i just about understand some of it.
    I am not sure about the Call, Check, buy-in etc.

Daniel Negreanu
    PFO Points

A check is a decision to not bet. There has to be no bet before you in order to check. You can check when first to act, or if others before you have checked. You check when you want to fold to a bet, hope to take a free card, check-raise (which means that if someone bets after you, you raise the bet) or you want to control the size of the pot.

Call is matching a bet someone put in before you. If someone bets $25 and you call, you put in the $25 from your own stack. If you want to put in additional money, that is a raise.

Private
    PFO Points

Very helpful. Thank you. Makes the game much easier to play and understand

Thread Information