Welcome to PokerForums.org

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Private
    PFO Points

Default Reading Players : Process

I have played for a little while, reading books etc for improvement..My problem is that I understand a lot of the lines and strategies, but have a real hard time trying to sit down and read player types and their weaknesses etc.. I start watching and trying to pay attention to the table, but always end up right back at watching boards and cards..Can't seem to get out of the ABC type mentality..I need to have a process, procedure to help me stay on task to get an idea of what and who is making the mistakes in order to take advantage of the game..Start out o.k. but once things get started, I go right back to cards, board and maybe reading hands..I am having A.D.D. issues I guess, only focusing for a minute, then back to grind and getting no where..I know a guideline as to how to go through the process of reading the players and table instead of all about my cards and reading hands during my play and doing the same when not in hand..If that makes sense..HELP ME!!!! Besides telling me to find something else to play, LOL...

Staff Sergeant
    PFO Points

I have a few suggestions for you:

If you are talking about live play then I would just focus on the player to your left. Work on profiling him until it is a habit and then add on the player to his left. Continue the process until you have to whole table. Don't try to do it all from the beginning.

If you are talking online then I think it depends on what game you are playing.

I like to play hyper 6-max single table Sit-n-Gos. I almost never see the same player twice. Here the emphasis is on doing a quick profile while playing. To develop this skill I go through my hand histories and profile opponents. Although I do take notes, what I am really doing is working on developing the skill to profile as fast as possible.

If you like to play cash games and play against the same people a lot then you might use a HUD. With a HUD you pretty much don't need to do a lot of profiling. You just have to have a lot of hands on each opponent and know how to use the statistics to your advantage.

Private
    PFO Points

thanks for the help, having issues gathering info as mainly watching wrong things or too many things...Yes do just play B & M cash...

Private
    PFO Points

Great stuff here

When I play live cash games I try to make a game out of picking a single player and paying attention to them and guessing the range of cards they will show when a particular hand plays out. The most important thing is to put them on a range, NOT on a single hand like AK or QQ, etc. from the start of the hand. To instead put them on a range and narrow that range as the hand plays out. If you do that a few times you will get a better understanding of that particular players style and range. Most people do not change their range and you can feel comfortable playing against that opponent in future hands or unless he gives you a reason to change his card range. Doing that with the weaker players at the game should definitely help.

BetOnline Promo

don't think too much before playing, it will only mount pressure on you and in that case you cant do better. you can also take help ...at
    poker sites

Thread Information