Welcome to PokerForums.org

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Private
    PFO Points

Default RANGE CONSIDERATIONS

I am in a dilemma in regards to player ranges...When playing with 1 or 2 players in the hand, and you are trying to put them on a range to continue and target. Is the general concept to use ranges of players types, and/or along with their range for the position they are in (As you have wider ranges for different type and position).Or is there just a standard range that you would use for all types/position, and just adjust as play and betting action continues..

PFO Points

You are trying to put someone on a range based on the current situation. The situation takes into account a lot of factors such as player tendencies, stack sizes, previous actions, position, image, etc. There can be a lot of guess work as you figure out player tendencies so that's why someone may use player types as a short cut.
    ​Poker is not about simply playing your cards in a fundamentally sound manner. -Jonathan Little

Brigadier General
    PFO Points
    Blog Entries

1. What is the players type?

2. What position did they open from?

3. What was the action on each street and what does that indicate?

4. How does their stack size affect their range?

5. How does the tournament situation affect their range?

6. How does their current psychology affect their range? Are they tilting or running hot or card dead?

7. How have you seen this villain act in similar situations before and what did they have then?

Everything affects the range. If you change any single condition and the range could be affected. You cannot generalize range, it is person and situation specific.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan Little View Post
    I typed out a nice long reply then I realized it said almost the exact same thing as jjpregler said right above me.

Private
    PFO Points

BetOnline Promo

Quote Originally Posted by Equity View Post
    You are trying to put someone on a range based on the current situation. The situation takes into account a lot of factors such as player tendencies, stack sizes, previous actions, position, image, etc. There can be a lot of guess work as you figure out player tendencies so that's why someone may use player types as a short cut.
    You have become my favorite poster bud

Thread Information