Welcome to PokerForums.org

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PFO Points

Default Low Pairs in Early/Mid position - Tourney

Before lowjack and by small pairs let us say 77 and under. I use to limp here quite regularly, and then included them in my standard raise. I've started to pretty much inst-fold here primarily because I've been playing in more aggressive games where pf 3bets are more common than not, and it was getting expensive to see a flop.

What do others do in these situations?
    "People are always blaming their circumstances for what they are. I don't believe in circumstances. The people who get on in this world are the people who get up and look for the circumstances they want, and if they can't find them, they make them." - George Bernard Shaw

Brigadier General
    PFO Points
    Blog Entries

It depends on your stack. Tightening up slightly ​is an option. But 4 betting the loose 3 bettors is also an option, instead of throwing up the white towel of surrender when someone plays back. By tightening up so much that you are not having any semi-bluffs in your range the aggressive players have beaten you. If you fight back with aggression and putting them in bad spots by 4 betting, they will start looking for another target.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan Little View Post
    I typed out a nice long reply then I realized it said almost the exact same thing as jjpregler said right above me.

PFO Points

Everything you say makes sense jj, but it seems more general than my pretty specific question.
    "People are always blaming their circumstances for what they are. I don't believe in circumstances. The people who get on in this world are the people who get up and look for the circumstances they want, and if they can't find them, they make them." - George Bernard Shaw

Brigadier General
    PFO Points
    Blog Entries

What I was saying is instead of insta folding them all of the time, open them, but be prepared to 4 bet them when the 3 bettor is a loose 3 bettor.

Also in the early stages, you can still call with small pairs and set mine when you are getting 10:1 implied odds.
    I typed out a nice long reply then I realized it said almost the exact same thing as jjpregler said right above me.

PFO Points

Ok, you were applying the general to the specific, and wasnt veiled so I should have just accepted your first post as-is.

Also, I should note than in the very early stages I am still very likely to open with small pairs in early position. It's in middle stages when most people have about 20bb where I started to hate low pairs. I'm all about variance, and am not results oriented on a specific hand, but it was just seeming I wasn't hitting & getting paid often enough to justify. Partially I guess I was also freeing up brain cycles by chucking them.
    Last edited by Pinguaq; September 2nd, 2015 at 02:31 PM.

Brigadier General
    PFO Points
    Blog Entries

When you have 20BBs, yeah, I would pull back on them a little, because now you are opening them with a stack where someone can 3bet shove on you. Short stack situations are different than middle stacks or deep stacks. In EP, I would raise 77+, maybe add 55/66 in MP. But again this is table dependent. If they are shoving wide, you want to tighten your range so that you can call more often than open fold. You still should have some bluffs/semi-bluffs in your open range, but make sure it is more balanced if your table is making it harder to play against.

If the table wasn't trying to exploit my LAG image, then I would keep pounding away at them. Or if for some reason I had a tight image, I can exploit that by opening a few more hands.

But if you are say 35 ish BBs, I would still open them often. Now I have a stack that I can shove over a light 3bet and take the initiative away from them. Once I do that, they can only beat me with cards. Once you force your opponent to have cards to beat you, it becomes a tougher game for them, since cards don't come along too often.

Thread Information