Welcome to PokerForums.org

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PFO Points

Default NLHE Tourney expensive blinds leak/question

I have a leak in my game and would like some advice on how to fix it. I play NLHE MTT in person and blinds (start at 25/50) go up every 20 minutes. By the time there are 3 or 4 people left, the blinds are 1000/2000 and for the most part, everyone has around 4 big blinds left. I keep getting myself in the situation where I am one of the blinds and stress about calling a raise unless I have a great hand. So if I have a mediocre/bad hand as BB and am raised, do I just give up my blind so then I have 3 BBs left? And if on the next hand I have a good to great hand, should I go all in as I would only have 2 BB left if I called?

If anyone knows of any articles with strategies to handle situations like this, I will be grateful.

Brigadier General
    Levittown PA
    PFO Points
    Blog Entries

If you are getting the right odds, you should always be calling. In this case you would have to call 3 BBs to win 5.5 (6 BBs with antes). If they are shoving sufficiently wide, most hands you are dealt will be getting the 35% equity required for a call.

I put a 35% shove range in my Equilab and in the hand range calculator is gives me this as a call range for 35% equity:

22+, A2s+, K2s+, Q2s+, J2s+, T4s+, 95s+, 84s+, 74s+, 63s+, 53s+, 43s, A2o+, K2o+, Q4o+, J7o+, T8o+, 98o, 87o, 76o

Of course, ICM will be a factor and if you are playing these games consistently, you should work out the ICM factors to know what adjustments should be made.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan Little View Post
    I typed out a nice long reply then I realized it said almost the exact same thing as jjpregler said right above me.

Thread Information