Welcome to PokerForums.org

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Private First Class
    PFO Points

Default Question on small stakes cash games

Jonathan mentions the implied odds calculation in chapter 6 but i need some clarification as it seems to be a tool that i would like to incorporate in my game. It states that in order to make the profitable call your odds should be 20-1 on suited connectors and 10-1 on small pairs if the effective stacks are $200 So if you raise to $5 opponent calls then you re raise to $10 you are getting 20-1 . My question is you need to be heads up with just one opponent to apply this formula? Does this formula apply to preflop only ? Or are we talking postflop turn and river? Does position play a factor ? What i am assuming is larger raises or bets will not work with this formula if the effective stacks are $200 because your odds will fall way under 20-1 or for that matter 10-1 if you call a raise with those specific type hands according to some the examples he mentioned in that chapter

PFO Points

Without creating too complicated of a response what Jonathan is talking about are guidelines for small stakes cash games. The implied odds calculation just factors in the amount you have to call compared to the total amount you can potentially win later in the hand. If you are facing a bet of five dollars and there are $200 remaining in the effective stack then your implied odds are 200 to 5 or 40 to 1.
    ​Poker is not about simply playing your cards in a fundamentally sound manner. -Jonathan Little

Private First Class
    PFO Points

My effective stack or my opponent?

PFO Points

Quote Originally Posted by daleboone66 View Post
    My effective stack or my opponent?
    http://poker.wikia.com/wiki/Effective_stack
    ​Poker is not about simply playing your cards in a fundamentally sound manner. -Jonathan Little

Thread Information