Welcome to PokerForums.org

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Thread: FPS with AA???

Sergeant
    PFO Points

Default FPS with AA???

Position Name Stack

UTG+2 101,218 (10.1 bb)
    MP1 214,820 (21.5 bb)
    MP2 354,450 (35.4 bb)
    MP3 142,039 (14.2 bb)
    CO 142,270 (14.2 bb)
    BTN Hero 116,570 (11.7 bb)
    SB 142,432 (14.2 bb)
    BB 113,189 (11.3 bb)

Stakes/Buy-In: $5+$0.50
    Players: 8

Preflop: Hero is BTN with A of spades A of clubs
    UTG+2 raises to 20,000, 2 folds, MP3 calls 20,000, CO folds,
    Hero raises to 60,000, 3 folds, MP3 calls 40,000

Flop: (163,000) 6 of hearts K of diamonds 7 of hearts (2 players)
    MP3 checks, Hero bets 55,570 and is all-in, MP3 calls 55,570
    Turn: (274,140) 4 of diamonds (2 players, 1 is all-in)
    River: (274,140) 9 of spades (2 players, 1 is all-in)

UGT+2 was loose and had been either been min raising or limping and had limp folded several times even with his short stack, ditto MP3 who was also calling lots of raises & flatting limps.

I know the standard line is to shove with my stack size and winning the pot by shoving would have greatly increased my stack. If I shoved they would have both pretty much been "all in" and I felt they would fold to this aggression. But, I thought one or both would call a small raise and I wanted to keep them in the pot as both ranges would have been wide. Although I risk getting outdrawn as I have no fold equity on the flop I have a greater chance of winning more chips this way. I realise that by raising like this I am playing my cards face up to more experienced players.

Anything wrong with deviating from the standard line here with such a monster versus calling stations who had been seen open folding with very short stacks?

Brigadier General
    PFO Points
    Blog Entries

FPS with AA???
    Yes!

1. Yes it is ok to deviate at times from the "standard" play.

2. However, this is not a good time to deviate:

(a) There are already 2 limpers in the pot. Your deviation greatly increases the chances of a multi-way pot, which increases your chances of going broke;

(b) There is already 23k in the pot (20% of your stack). If you shove and everyone folds, you still pick up a decent sized pot, without taking further risk;

(c) You have no post flop leverage. Even your small raise, when it was called, did not leave you any post flop leverage to make your opponent make an error of calling when they flopped a draw; and

(d) The effective BB is 15.3 k when it gets to you. You have 7.5 effective BBs.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan Little View Post
    I typed out a nice long reply then I realized it said almost the exact same thing as jjpregler said right above me.

Sergeant
    PFO Points

I´ve had several frustrating deep runs lately busting out by losing flips, running into the top of ranges or by mistakes like this one.

Oh well, one day it will come together and I´ll get it right!

Sergeant
    PFO Points

for what it's worth, the raise looks, to me, exactly that, a strong Ace or pair.

i would shove here w/all my range....that usually gets heads up and a nice double up.

Sergeant
    PFO Points

I usually shove my whole range too but these two were completely inexperienced and I didn´t want them to fold as both ranges were weak.
    Last edited by samj; July 11th, 2016 at 06:02 AM.

Thread Information