Welcome to PokerForums.org

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Private First Class
    PFO Points

Default secrets of NL hold em tournaments

Having a hard time grasping some of the concepts of the audio. Not discounting his abilities as a writer or speaker or as a great poker player but he speaks way too fast. Maybe its due to my lack of ability to concentrate . I was able to pick up on some key points such as floating, live tells , continuation betting some of the math such as amount to raise when in position and out of position but some of the math he suggests especially the multiplication , is nearly impossible to apply when you are in the middle of a hand.

I am also not a huge fan of taking notes which is one of my downfalls. I am just too lazy to write stuff down. I like the challenge of memorization. Not sure if listening to the audio while driving is helping my cause or making it more difficult . I assume that while listening to the audio you should be at home in front of your lap or PC with a deck of cards nearby . Last night i made the mistake of playing my third live tournament in the last 5 days due to the fact that i min cashed on two consecutive sessions in daily $120 buy in 3 & 10K GTD. 20k starting stack I attribute the cashing to basically running good , tight play and not about what i learned from the audio . Mind you before i min cashed i was probably the shortest stack or next to shortest stack in the room with maybe 4 or 5 BB to my name

There are some who will say that wow after i read your book i shipped a tournament or came in 3rd blah blah. We all know that is total bullcrap especially from beginners because it might have been a coincidence that they just happened to run good at the time. However it always nice to attribute their success to others . This is not to say that his book is not a viable learning tool which it is , but i fall into the habit of forgetting or failing to apply most of what i read and instead fall back on my basic poker abilities which i realize will never make me a profitable player.

To make a long story short , i was virtually card dead throughout dealt hands such as K5 K5 K5 on three consecutive hands dealt more junk 97 o 43 24 I was rarely dealt premium hands I might have collected one pot basically antes blinds. I played extremely tight and by Level 7 which is one short of rebuy i was down to 11k from 20. Finally dealt a premium hand QQ which i shoved out of frustration from being dealt junk. I actually welcomed an aggressive players call who basically ran over the table most of time. He tabled KQ spiked a K on the turn and i was done. Lost some more at $1 $2 cash attempting to recoup my losses which was a huge mistake . I was dealt the same junk as in the tournament and realized it was a night i should have stayed home.

I need to take a break from poker but i have come to realize that tight play just wont cut it. Yeah i might reep the benefit of getting lucking and ship a few nice pots while playing tight and maybe min cashing every once in while but overall i will never become a profitable player if i play the way im playing. Here is my thought process and let me know if you think this might be a better solution. Play aggressive from the get go regardless of whether im dealt premium hands or monsters. Widen the range very very wide . Not sayin i should play absolute junk but raise hands aggressively such as one or two gapped suited stuff playing them the same way i would play KK QQ AA etc. I realize i will probably bust early but establishing that type of mindset instead of reverting back to the tight nitty format will get me to more final tables while remaining deepstacked at same time . Any feedback will help but this is the plan for the future

Sergeant First Class
    PFO Points

I think you should find another hobby. You don't have the mindset to be successful at this game.

Sergeant
    PFO Points

seems like ur looking for a formulae / one size fits all type of play to make u profitable.
    poker is way 2 complex for that.
    maybe start lower stakes, practice 1 concept at a time as u progress?

Private First Class
    PFO Points

EPOXY I think your total live earnings are in the high 3 figure range. Matter fact i guarantee it

PFO Points

Let us know how the aggressive play works. I'm not exactly sure how you are going to implement it but when I started shoving short stacks instead of limping or raising small I started to understand fold equity and how important it was.

As far as what Epoxy is saying, I think he is referring to your overall emotions to the game. They seem to be all over the place and it sounds like you aren't enjoying yourself. It makes it easier to stick with it in the long run the more you enjoy it. If not and you eventually quit, it would just be more time wasted.

As far as improving, focus on one thing at a time. Set a goal such as, "I won't limp a single hand in this tournament". Setting small goals like that can help you develop discipline and prevent you from using old habits. For cash games I used to have a check list to help me pick hands to play preflop. I remembered it using the word SPIFR
    Stack size - is the stack size appropriate for the hand I want to play. More speculative hands need deeper stacks relative to the raise size.
    Position- will i likely be in position after the flop. I tried to play more pots in position.
    Image - have I been losing lately, bluffs tend to get less respect (ie fold equity) in cash games from players that are losing and have small stacks.
    Fish - have I seen my likely opponent make blunders that are obvious to me. I try to play pots against these players.
    Range - consider the range I'm up against to help decide how I will proceed in the hand.

Just going through that list when I was learning helped me pick better spots preflop.
    ​Poker is not about simply playing your cards in a fundamentally sound manner. -Jonathan Little

Private First Class
    PFO Points

equity , trust me i will report back with a blow by blow and i wont get upset if lose a buy in in the interim because its just an experiment . As far as others perceive my image ? That is one trait i am fortunate enough to be blessed with. I can tell within a half hour or maybe less how keen opponents perceive my image whether its tight , aggressive , loose etc. I have the power to change that with every passing hand dealt to me. Also i will be playing most of my hands in position HJ CO Button MP (sometimes ) from now on

Another method i want to try similar to what i just mentioned and your opinion would certainly help . I recently tuned into a stream in which one of the announcers relayed a story about one of the asian competitors in that event who ironically went on to win a bracelet for that event . I believe his name is Alan Dui . He was playing $10 $20 NL on the west coast for 2 weeks straight against recreational players (non pros) while incorporating very unorthodox style of play during the sessions. He would raise with top pair check back the flop especially on very wet or draw heavy boards and hope his opponent would bet the turn so he could raise it big or small . If they called he would either put in a small bet on the river or check the river and win in showdown. Now of course if his opponent hits a flush hes screwed. I assume he played this style hoping the opponent thinks he has the nuts or hes crazy bluffing or his range is polarized. It took 2 weeks before some of the smarter regs at the table talked about it amongst themselves and started playing back at him 4 betting etc. However this player is the type that never folds and continuation bets with air . Of course your first impression might be stone cold maniac but i can see some profitability in his play as long as its used infrequently . The benefit of keeping bullies in line from time to time might also be an option. Let me know
    Last edited by daleboone66; July 11th, 2016 at 06:17 AM.

PFO Points

I am not sure what you are asking but the best I can sum up what you were describing is a player that is "changing gears". Meaning to play different than normal for specific reasons at specific times. Once you are playing better players who can hand read well you sometimes need to do things they don't expect. In a vast majority of 1/2 and 2/5 games you don't need to worry about doing any of that, especially if you are playing 100bb or less.
    ​Poker is not about simply playing your cards in a fundamentally sound manner. -Jonathan Little

Sergeant First Class
    PFO Points

Quote Originally Posted by daleboone66 View Post
    EPOXY I think your total live earnings are in the high 3 figure range. Matter fact i guarantee it
    Then you would be very wrong. My lifetime ROI in tournaments is +89.7% (live) not including satellite seats won to larger tournaments (like the Main Event, which I played in 2010 getting there by winning a $30 super satellite and then a $220 satellite). I have won a lot of local tournaments, but nothing huge. Here's my Hendon Mob profile: http://pokerdb.thehendonmob.com/player.php?a=r&n=246121

Sergeant
    PFO Points

Master TAG strategy first and then move upto LAG. LAG is much harder to play well and is not really a style for someone who is learning the game as any decent reg will wipe the floor with you.

Thread Information