Welcome to PokerForums.org

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Command Sergeant Major
    PFO Points

Default Friends bust out hand WSOP Main Event

A friend texted me his brutal bust out hand in the WSOP Main and we got into a discussion about how it played out.

800/1600/200

Friend KK opens utg to 3,300 with 100k
    MP JJ calls 110k
    BTN AQ calls 40k

Pot 14k

Flop TJQ (assuming rainbow I had no suit info)

utg 5.5k, call, call

Pot 31k

Turn A

utg check, mp check, btn jams 32k, utg call, mp ai 100k, utg calls for less.

Of course the case Jack hit blowing his near 90% river Equity out the water in the Main for a leader board Stack.

How do you guys rate the play/lines of each player. Intrigued. We disagreed on how both opponents played their hands, one slightly one quite fundamentally.

Inside info that my friend had. Neither player were great (he classified them as Donkeys) and both had Satellited in and made some questionable plays. He is a Good player with several Million live winnings and notable as he was a Nov 9er a few years back, so possibly recognisable although I have no idea if this changes peoples plays too much.

I liked my friends line and sizing throughout and really liked the flat call of the smaller stack jam with larger stack behind still to act.

Btn AQ can go either way on almost any Street. I can see a pre jam but prefer the call as its a little to much maybe and with an utg raiser - but as utg is good a Jam with a call behind is fine? Flop I'd jam with extra outs, but he's stone last and almost dead and so I'd have busted, so again? Turn lot of Kings in both villains ranges but we've committed a quarter of our stack and have Top 2 with the chance to triple up and only need to be good 50% of the time. I don't think I get away from this hand but probably should - checking flop through and folding river?

MP with his JJ is where we really differed. My friend thought taking into account it's the Main, so very deep stacks long levels, lots of wiggle room so be risk averse in general, huge payouts if you can meander through the field (he has the history to back this up!!!!) lots of terrible players etc to play it slower and thought as played was how he'd have played it - so his perfect line.

Me, maybe a bit too gung ho, I'd be raising big on that flop to 16k. Lot of two pair, pair straight draws I want to charge. If I get raised big esp by utg I'll evaluate as he can have AK more likely than BTN who flatted pre. I'd obv slow down on the A turn hoping it checks through or I've lost the button already folding to my flop raise.

Thoughts please.
    Last edited by Biju; July 15th, 2016 at 11:28 AM.

Brigadier General
    PFO Points
    Blog Entries

Hero Analysis:

Preflop good. With those effective stacks, I may opt to open a tad larger, but his sizing is not really a mistake. I think that just comes down to preference.

Flop: That is actually a very scary flop 3 way for hero's hand. However, if he is behind, he does have 4 outs to the nuts, 4 outs to a probably the best hand and 2 more outs to chase down 2 pair. So c-betting is ok, but if he opted to check here as well, it wouldn't have been a bad decision in my mind.

Turn: Assuming no flushes, Hero has the nuts and now decides to check. I dislike this check so much. Monster = bet/raise. Unless he is playing in a hand with pros (and the description seems to disqualify that option) bet and create situations where your weak opponents can make an error.

Now the call after the jam is important. (live advice) = 1) Do not insta call ever here. Take your time, you know you are calling, but take at least 10 - 15 seconds and breathe. 2) Assess MP playing level. If a level 2 player, make a plan to keep him in. Will Hollywooding a tough decision keep him in more likely, than do that. Will that make him fold, then just call after the short time to take a breath. (The breathing helps control your emotion before you make a move so you can control your body actions better and not give a tell).

There are some players where jamming might look more suspicious to them and keep them in more often. If that is the case here, do that. But all in all, I think calling is usually best.

I'll do the other 2 later.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan Little View Post
    I typed out a nice long reply then I realized it said almost the exact same thing as jjpregler said right above me.

Command Sergeant Major
    PFO Points

I asked about the turn check he said the btn with AQ lit up when the A hit and he saw it as a chance to trap the player in between as he expected a shove. I should have included that but forgot.

Brigadier General
    PFO Points
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Biju View Post
    I asked about the turn check he said the btn with AQ lit up when the A hit and he saw it as a chance to trap the player in between as he expected a shove. I should have included that but forgot.
    Having a read is different.
    I typed out a nice long reply then I realized it said almost the exact same thing as jjpregler said right above me.

Brigadier General
    PFO Points
    Blog Entries

BetOnline Promo

MP analysis:

Preflop: I like to flat with JJ against an EP raise. Even LAGs today are positionally aware and are not opening too light from EP. However, if you are facing a HyperLAG - Maniac type then I would tend to 3 bet as even their EP range resembles a TAG MP or LP range.

Flop: On this board, in a multi-way pot, JJ is not a monster. I would not be to thrilled about having to get all in. The best case scenario with that is getting all in against an OESD, if someone didn't already flop a straight. I like the call.

Turn: I don't like the shove on the turn. Again, it is not a monster on this board in a multi-way pot. Additionally, with an UTG raise, Hero can easily have AA/KK/QQ and AK in his range, which has JJ crushed. Not really sure if I could make a fold here, but it is probably the best play.

Thread Information