Welcome to PokerForums.org

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

1st Lieutenant
    PFO Points

Default A good hand vs an aggressive opponent

Well I found a phenominal table on PS, my opponent in this hand had 58% VPIP/9 PFR/1.4 AF over about 120 hands. He played just about anything and put on an occasional bluff.

How is my play here?

PokerStars 1/2 Hold'em (5 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

Preflop: Hero is SB with , .
    UTG calls, 1 fold, Button calls, Hero completes, BB checks.

Flop: (4 SB) , , (4 players)
    Hero bets, BB folds, UTG calls, Button calls.

Turn: (3.50 BB) (3 players)
    Hero bets, UTG calls, Button raises, Hero 3-bets, UTG folds, Button caps, Hero calls.

Here I was a little worried, but he could have been making this same play I felt with a slow played AA, or a smaller 2 pair. Him having J 10 certainly did cross my mind though

River: (12.50 BB) (2 players)
    Hero checks, Button bets, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 14.50 BB

Command Sergeant Major
    PFO Points

I don't like your play.

I really don't think the Q improves your hand. The only way it does is if the button has AQ or KQ which I doubt he limps from the button with those PT stats, or a bigger pair which I ALSO doubt he limps from the button with almost 10% PFR.

He could have a draw... which filled. He could have a set, since that's the line I could see him taking with a set. 2 pair IS possible since he may slowplay it...

In the end, you can't lay it down against him, so call the turn and check call the river JUST because you said he's a very aggressive tricky player. I'd put your pot equity at about 25% though... most hands that fit that line of play have your 2 pair beaten here.
    -You may not know this, but poker is a game of incomplete information.

Major
    PFO Points

since he is aggressive you say he would probably raise JT on that flop right?

i think you played it fine. i'm definately going 3 bets ont he turn against an aggro with top two. depending on read, i will check/call or bet/call river.

Command Sergeant Major growlers's Avatar
    PFO Points

Quote Originally Posted by PJ of TheGame
    I don't like your play.

I really don't think the Q improves your hand. The only way it does is if the button has AQ or KQ which I doubt he limps from the button with those PT stats, or a bigger pair which I ALSO doubt he limps from the button with almost 10% PFR.

He could have a draw... which filled. He could have a set, since that's the line I could see him taking with a set. 2 pair IS possible since he may slowplay it...

In the end, you can't lay it down against him, so call the turn and check call the river JUST because you said he's a very aggressive tricky player. I'd put your pot equity at about 25% though... most hands that fit that line of play have your 2 pair beaten here.
    I respectfully disagree. Just because the guy raised you on the turn doesn't mean he has a set or JT. You can't fear the monsters in the closet that much in a limit game. He has to three bet here. He has top two pair. I raise the turn for a free showdown all the time precisely because people are too weak to three bet without the nuts and then are too weak to bet the river unless they improve to the nuts!
    Once he caps it is a judgement call on betting or check/calling the river depending on opponent. I agree with PJ here that his pokertracker stats make me check/call.
    Quote Originally Posted by Beavis68
    Quit playing poker.
    Quote Originally Posted by backdoor
    First of all you foul mouthed imbecile. I think the value of forums is immeasurible. Forums are the one place you can learn the game. Forums are a learning medium. The problem I find in forums are, your post. We are talking to hot headed, juveniles, who have no clue what they are doing. You have to weed through posts such as yours to get valuable information.

Command Sergeant Major
    PFO Points

Good analysis... but unless the turn card helps hands your opponent may have, a raise on the turn usually indicates great strength. Aggressive players make moves on the flop with cheap bet sizes normally. Not always, and he is a tricky player... but every slowplay looks the same, and that's what this looks like to me.
    -You may not know this, but poker is a game of incomplete information.

1st Lieutenant
    PFO Points

Quote Originally Posted by growlers
    I respectfully disagree. Just because the guy raised you on the turn doesn't mean he has a set or JT. You can't fear the monsters in the closet that much in a limit game. He has to three bet here. He has top two pair. I raise the turn for a free showdown all the time precisely because people are too weak to three bet without the nuts and then are too weak to bet the river unless they improve to the nuts!
    Once he caps it is a judgement call on betting or check/calling the river depending on opponent. I agree with PJ here that his pokertracker stats make me check/call.

Thanks for the input, I did feel I played it properly aswell it just got me thinking about my turn play in general.

I figure he would have raised with 55, 88, 99, JT(maybe) or QQ which are most of the hands he could beat me with at this moment. The real hands I figured he would be limping on the botton and play in this fashion on the turn would be 98, 95, Q5, Q8, 67 and possibly AA.

I actually kinda feel I wussed out on the river by not betting it here.

I was happy when he flipped over AA and I took down the pot though

PFO Points

BetOnline Promo

i think you played that next to perfectly against this loose aggro player. against a tight player a case can be made for bet/calling the turn and check/calling the river, but not against this guy. well played, nice pot

Thread Information